The offices of the Osu Klottey Wulormo Wor-Lumo Noi Osikan Kpeneku and the Osu Paramount Stool Father, Nii Narku Teinor III, has called on the Inspector General of Police to office to assist to forestall chaos in Osu in the face of the demise of the Osu Mantse Nii Okwei Kinka Dowuona VI.
The Osu Mantse died Saturday 6th February 2021 at the Cocoa Clinic in Accra.
In a joint statement, the Nadu/Klortey Wulomo and the Stool father said it is trite knowledge that there is an “undestooled” Osu Mantse in the person of Nii Nortey Owuo III, which premised a decade of litigation which had raged on until the demise of one of the litigants so there is the need to keep calm to avoid plunging the town into yet another era of litigation.
Born Michael Dowuona-Owoo on November 7, 1963, at Adabraka in Accra, the late Nii Okwei was enstooled as the Osu Mantse in 2007.
Nii Dowuona VI was elected President of the Greater Accra Regional House of Chiefs in 2016 and was later re-elected in 2020 after serving a successful four-year term.
There has been an uneasy calm in the community after the death of the chief as social media news puts it that an embattled Mankralo Nii Ako Nortei will be the acting Osu Mantse until a substantive one is installed.
In a stark rebuttal, however, office of the Osu Klottey Wulormo and the Osu Paramount Stool Father, Nii Narku Teinor III has condemned the news.
In a joint press release, the two traditional leaders called on all stakeholders of Osu Tradition to remain calm and to seek peace for Osu to save the town from a another protracted litigation that bedeviled Osu from the time the late Nii Okwei Kinka Dowuona V ascended the Osu stool.
“It is true that a ‘’Chief of Osu’’ a Mantse as known by a portion of the public has passed on.
We all send our condolences to his family and all relations with all sincerity. We however It is trite knowledge that there is an undestooled Osu Mantse in the person of Nii Nortey Owuo III, which premised a decade of litigation which had raged on until the demise of one of the litigants.
It is trite knowledge that there is an undestooled Osu Mantse in the person of Nii Nortey Owuo III which premised a decade of litigation which had raged on until the demise of one of the litigants”, the statement said.
In a petition to the Inspector General of Police that was sighted by newsmen, the Klorty/Nadu Wulomo and the Stool Father of Osu called for assisatnce to forestall chaos in Osu in the face of the demise of the ‘’Osu Mantse’’ Nii Okwei Kinka Dowuona VI. They cited reasons for the petition as;
- There has been a long standing dispute in the court between Nii Nortey Owuo III and Nii Okwei Kinka Dowuona VI.
- The Mankralo of Osu is bedeviled with a destoolement charges from his quarter (Osu Ashante Blohum) and that his attempt to front any traditional acting position would not be countenanced by the elders of Osu Ashante Blohum quarter. Find copies of declaration attached.
- Non accredited persons in the Osu are seeking to usurp authority that does not lie in their purview, which may be a serious cause of mayhem.
- Osu has a constitution of 10th October 1910, which explicitly raise the curtain on the traditional’’directors ladder’’.This constitution has been violated by obscurantist within Osu, which was the cause long protracted litigation and disturbance of the peace in Osu.
- These same obscurantists who went underground in the days of the disputes are preparing to take advantage of the demise of Nii Okwei Kinka Dowuona VI.
The petition concluded that:
“Following from the above, the Osu Nadu/Klottey Wulormo and the Osu Paramount Stool Father, the forebearers and custodians of Osu lore and customs crave your indulgence to assist us to forestall any planned lawlessness in Osu”.