Former President John Dramani Mahama has condemned the recent deployment of military personnel to the Volta, Oti and other border Regions in what Government says is to enforce the closure of the country’s borders.
He has also called on the President, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, to immediately put an end to what he termed as needless siege in these regions and rather live up to the oath of office and ensure the safety and security of all Ghanaians.
A statement issued on Sunday and signed by the Former President’s Special Aide, Joyce Bawah MOGTARI, said the singling out of the Volta, Oti and other regions for such an attack must be condemned by all well meaning Ghanaians.
John Mahama, who is also the Presidential Candidate for the National Democratic Congress (NDC) for the December 7 elections said the unexplained security deployments to these border regions had clearly been timed to coincide with the commencement of the Voter Registration exercise across the country scheduled for Tuesday, June 30, to intimidate residents into abstaining from the exercise.
The Former President said “it is becoming evident by the day, that the Akufo-Addo government perceives political power as an end in itself hence the resort to such crude and high-handed measures to usurp the mandate of the people.
“To send troops into regions in times of peace for the sole purpose of preventing them from registration amounts to declaring war on them. Any President sanctioning this sort of activity stands in breach of his oath to the people of Ghana.
“Any President doing this, commits a grave sin against the very people he swore to protect,” John Mahama said.
The Former President therefore cautioned the deployed personnel against arbitrary use of power and urged them to uphold the integrity of the force, adding that their fidelity was to the state and not a political party.
“The people you encounter are the very people under whose authority you wear your respected uniforms.
“The politicians who send you to intimidate fellow citizens will not be there always but your commitment to the sanctity of the state of Ghana is eternal. I urge you therefore not to become the tool by which the rights of innocent Ghanaians are abused.
Bear in mind that there is always a day of accountability and that any abuse you subject your fellow citizens to, will be subject to scrutiny in the near future,” He added.
He implored Ghanaians to take interest in this matter, adding that the time had come for Ghanaians to call out the Government over it’s continuous over-reach and abuse of mandate.
He admonished Ghanaians, particularly those in Volta, Oti, Upper East and Upper West regions to go out to register in their numbers when the exercise commences, to enable them to vote in the December 7 polls.
Residents in the Ketu South Municipality of the Volta region had earlier in the week expressed concern over the rise in the number of security personnel amid allegations of abuse, a situation which some said was causing fear among them.